Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Artists See the World Through a Kaleidoscope




Get Serious - Fusing Goals for 2018

A new year is about fresh starts. It’s about identifying goals for the upcoming year, and, it’s about following through to reach those goals. 

Resolutions suck. The rigidity of the all or nothing attitude makes it too easy to fail. Instead, I prefer to make a list of things I’d like to accomplish in the new year. I then make small strides to achieve those goals as soon as possible. 

But before jumping ahead. I make a list of things I’ve accomplished in the previous year. This exercise is so valuable. It confirms that there has been growth, no matter how trivial. It gives me self-confidence knowing I did actively move forward in 2017. And I can, and will continue to gain ground in the new year. 

Some of the items on my 2017 list included: I expanded my design style and took my art in a sculptural direction. I produced 2 new videos, 1 new webinar and several YouTube videos. I bought new office furniture and reorganized my work space for greater efficiency. I launched a writer’s website. We painted the guest bathroom, replaced the rollers on the sliding glass door and bought new pot holders for my kitchen, among other things. The list validates that big and small things do happen if I continue to work toward my goals. 
  
For the new year, I make a new list of goals. I prioritized the list. I estimate when items can be started, as well as how long each might take to complete. Then I dedicate time every week to completing some portion of the list.  

Artistic style won’t grow in a vacuum. 

Artists are continually exploring. We see the world through a kaleidoscope. Everything is colorful and ever changing. Being in such a constant state of flux, we seek understanding. You can float around in this happy bubble looking for answers forever, but your artistic style won’t grow in a vacuum. To reach your greatest potential as an artist it takes constant study, regular creative exercise and the dynamic company of like minds.  

Artistically, where do you see yourself next December? 

The best way to get on the fast track to elevating your technique is to seek new learning opportunities. Get involved on social media, read articles, watch a video, take a webinar, attend a class or go to a conference. 


Set aside a few minutes every day to dedicate to growing your artistic mind. No matter where you are in your creative journey, there’s always something new to learn. 
I consider myself to be experienced. I’m not an expert. I continually seek out new information, new classes and workshops to better my art and my writing. 

As artists, we’re driven to interpret our version of the ordinary and then share it for others to enjoy. If you want to elevate the quality and creativity of your art in 2018 start now. Seek ways to nurture your creative mind through new learning opportunities. 

Then next year, when you make your list of goals accomplished you’ll cheer your progress and successes.  

Let's get going!
Lisa  

Follow my blog for more tips and tricks! 



Let’s get together and fuse glass!
Creative Slumping Webinar, January 18, 2018
Reshape the way you slump and drape glass!
  

Advanced Glass Fusing Workshop
February 6 – 9, 2018
Wesley Chapel, Florida
4-Day, Hands-on

There’s still time to register!

Here’s what students are saying about the workshop.

I took Lisa's Advanced Fusing class in November. She says this class will take you to the next level, but it was so much more than that. The pieces I did in the class are easily 3 levels better than what I’d been doing (I thought I was doing pretty well!). She gave us numerous design tips and display ideas, and suggested a number of projects for the course, but we students decided between us what to focus on (and she gladly shipped pieces that finished firing after we left). We combed, cast, made drop-out vases, and learned creative ways of converting scrap into masterpieces. We made frit paintings and thick block sculptures. And of course, we got to use great equipment, far better than what I have at home.

Her spacious, welcoming home studio is easy to work in, and her home itself is full of gorgeous pieces she's done over the years. 

In summary, a great class, and I'm looking forward to doing it again!     -Pat M.


No comments:

Post a Comment