Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Work in Progress Photo Blog



Every new project is ripe with opportunities to push boundaries and stretch artistic vision. My current project is no exception. Over the years, I’ve made numerous large scale mosaic pieces. Even though this type of artwork is routine, I always try to learn something new. This adds excitement to what could easily become a tedious process. 


To sweeten the job, I group new color combinations. I try unconventional methods of assembly. I endeavor to reinvent what’s expected, and instead create something unexpected and fresh.  


I begin with a fun theme that offers a wide variety of relatable subject matter. A good theme immediately generates ideas for exciting settings that can be combined in different ways to create an interesting composition. 


This project has an ocean theme. I’ve designed a tropical paradise with a glowing sunset, crystal clear water, a colorful coral reef and exotic sea creatures.   


At the core, this is a mosaic project. But I had to include some fused glass components because, well, that’s what I do. Plus, the variation in the construction adds a dramatic flair to the scene. 
 

Here I’m trying a technique I’ve tested but haven’t used for a primary focal point before. I’m using it along with an eccentric color scheme to ramp up the visual impact of the sea turtle.  


I cut a base out of clear glass then cut a second layer out of streaky green. The green is stacked on the clear base layer. Mosaic clear glass is arranged on the green in a single layer. I used a spoon to pour fine red opal, fine yellow opal and fine orange opal frit into the crevasses created by the mosaic frit. The frit is then worked into the spaces with a small paint brush. Any excess frit is brushed off the turtle. This is a fun, easy way to make an organic pattern quickly. 
   

I selected these primary colors to a make a more dramatic representation of the turtle. Anyone can do a brown turtle. But don’t you find this one more creative and alluring? 


Here frit is used to add pattern and subtle tonal qualities to an otherwise flat color. The light dusting gives each of these angel fish its own personal identity.  


These blue tangs are a coral reef favorite. I added yellow frit to visually break up all the blue and to add a hint of green. The stingers add a nice directional quality to the fins giving the fish a sense of forward movement.  
 




I hope you enjoyed getting a behind the scenes look at my work in progress. Stay tuned for more details on this mosaic project.

Keep fusing,
Lisa

Follow my blog for more tips and tricks! 

Upcoming Webinars and Hands-on Class

Fusing for the Adventurous Webinar
July 24, 2018

Make a Fused Glass Sink Webinar
August 2, 2018

Fusing with Frit
September 20, 2018

Now Registering!

Advanced Glass Fusing 4-Day, Hands-on Workshop

November 6-9, 2018

Gain knowledge! Build confidence! Get inspired!
Join me for this in-depth workshop held in my private studio.
Wesley Chapel, Florida, 4-Day, Hands-on, Class size is limited.


Exceed your expectations! In this intense, 4-day workshop you’ll utilize the many advanced techniques today’s successful glass artists are using to elevate their work from craft to fine art. This all-new program is ideal for ambitious glass fusers ready to go bigger and explore more in-depth kiln forming techniques.

Learn at your convenience.
Check out my new writer’s blog.
Writer – Instructor – Artist


Relationships fascinate me, and so I have another blog dedicated to the weird and wonderful ways we interact with each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment