Thursday, May 9, 2019

Shine Bright Show Your Personality



The absolute best thing you can do to make your art stand out is to show your personality in your art. After all, your personal style is what makes your art uniquely your own. The same holds true for your website which is your public invitation to friends, family and collectors to view and buy your glass art. Showing your personality makes a statement that will get noticed. 

Through more research, I noticed today’s most attractive websites are clutter free, with crisp colors and clean lines. This helped me narrowed down my new website color scheme and design theme. My design will have a few colors plus white to showcase my art, videos and books. 

I also noticed the trend in product images is to show the products displayed on natural textures like rough cut wood, fabric or nestled among green leaves. Or the images are taken in a home setting. This fresh style promotes the now popular carefree, echo friendly culture we all want to support.   

I’m still collecting material for the new website, so I haven’t signed up for a plan yet. I have been researching site designs that will suite my needs. I’ve also been taking fun pictures of my art to add a custom flare to the site pages. 

A lot of time and energy goes into taking creative pictures that enhance the art and add to the stylized theme. 

Here are some pictures I’ve recently taken and my thoughts on what I like and don’t like about them. I can’t say for sure which ones will end up on my website. I’m going to wait and see which ones fit the spaces best when I build the site. 

River Rock Bowl from Creative Shapes video DVD. I love this picture for the soft light and it’s alluring ambiance, but it doesn’t show the bowl very well. It would be great for a page cover but not for a product shot.  

 
This picture is clean and clear. It shows the true colors and contour of the bowl. It also suggests a garden setting that supports the rock design. Taken on a patio table, it lacks a little imagination though. 


 This image is a little more artsy, it has a rich background with lush textures that contrast the smooth glass and therefore shows off the black and white glass design. It’s also a good representation of the art showing the shape and true colors.  


This one is more interesting with greenery obscuring some of the art. I like the hard landscape rock feature because it's different from the delicate plant material and the tiny red flowers just make this piece, “rock!” 





Grape Tulip from Creative Shapes video DVD has a fun shape that I want to show off. Here in the garden it stands out in front of the terracotta pots. The lighting is also good as it shows the true purple color and transparency of the glass.  


The piece gets a little lost in this busy pond setting, but I do like how the bright green of the leaf stand out and the way the unique shape is obvious. I also like the gray stone and how the hard surface contrasts the graceful curves of the art.  

 
The lighting on the glass and the strong brick pattern make this picture a winner. It’s a simple but effective way to show the art and create an appealing mood. 

 
Garden Party from Fun & Fanciful Fusing DVD is a beautiful spray of spring flowers. Here nestled among lush plants the bright colors pop. The warm background colors and natural textures suggest comfort and style combined. 


I tried it in a flowerpot. I like the bright colors and vivid blue sky, but the strong shadows on the bowl are distracting to the flower colors and ornate design. This picture would be another good page image, but it doesn’t represent the art well enough to be a product picture. 


I love this image. The lighting is great. The glass colors and bowl shape are accurately represented. And the stones add a hard landscape element that contrasts the delicate glass flowers. The neutral background texture and color doesn’t compete with, but shows off the pretty glass colors.  

That’s all for now. More to come. 

Until next time…

Happy fusing!
Lisa

Follow my blog for more tips and tricks! 


Welcome Life-Long Learners
Upcoming Webinar
Let’s get together and fuse glass!


Join me Next Week! 
Make a Fused Glass Sink Webinar
May 14, 2019

In this comprehensive webinar, I’ll guide you step-by-step through the time-tested processes I use to make large-scale, functional bowls.

You'll learn safe handling techniques for cutting oversized circles, how to fuse and slump thick pieces to retain consistent bowl height, plus trade-secrets for worry free drilling. In addition, I’ll demonstrate how to make a glittering dichroic sink. I’ll also show you how to make a cast glass sink from nipped glass pieces, dichroic bits and frit.

In addition to fabrication know-how, you'll receive a complete supply list, specifics on kiln requirements, source information for the slumping mold and drill kit, as well as helpful installation tips.

With all the professional tricks revealed, you'll gain the confidence and knowledge needed to make your own dazzling beauty.


 
Wait...there's more!

You'll be guided through the various cold-working steps I use to finish the cast glass sink edge to a glamorous, professional, quality polish.



NEW Workshop Now Registering!

Sculptural Fused Glass, 4-Day, Hands-on Workshop
October 15-18, 2019
Join me for this intense workshop held in my private studio in Wesley Chapel, Florida. Class size is limited to 4.

Sculptural fused glass is the creation of three-dimensional forms that rise above a flat plane. Artists create 3-D works by using multiple methods and techniques with complete freedom of materials and process.

In this class, you’ll push the boundaries glass imposes. Students will use innovative approaches to design and combine multiple advanced techniques to construct original sculptural art.

You’ll enjoy: the one-on-one instruction, making large scale projects, the well-equipped classroom, and the intimate class size.

Its hard-core fusing in a nurturing, relaxed environment.
You'll love the concentrated, in-depth study and creative momentum you’ll gain while actively producing nonstop, for four consecutive days.

You’ll leave class with a working knowledge of kiln operation, custom project specific firing guides and the inspiration you’ve been craving to go sculptural!


Learn at home at your own pace. Instructional Videos are here!

 Check out my writer’s blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment