Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Holidays!


Sharing family traditions passed down from generation to generation are what make the holidays special. Cooking old favorites like bourbon glazed ham and baking Christmas cookies top my list. Its fun to get the whole family involved in measuring the ingredients, mixing the cookie batter and shaping the dough.


We started last Sunday and the baking went on till Thursday! That afternoon, I pulled out my sticky, old cook books and a smudged file folder full of loose papers. While sorting the pages in the folder I came across dog eared and faded hand-written recipes, given to me by my mother-in-law. I couldn’t help but show the kids the browned papers covered with her neat, curly script and share the fond memories I have from years of baking Christmas cookies with her. When the day was done, we had mixed nine varieties including my favorite, Santa’s Whiskers. Santa’s Whiskers are sweet sugar cookie dough mixed with red and green cherries, then rolled in coconut. The coconut coating browns during baking, making a crispy golden fringe that resembles whiskers.

In keeping with tradition, we’re going to share the love and give cookies away to friends and family. In keeping with my inventory reduction plan, they’ll be delivered in decorative vases.


Hearts Take Flight 
FREE pattern download on www.LisaVogt.net

My gift to you is simple, but it comes from the heart. The butterfly is a symbol of change, beauty and hope. I offer a pattern, Hearts Take Flight, to you. It’s a small gesture, a tribute to love and compassion and a sign of hope and healing.
                                                     

The pattern is available free on my website. It’s drawn for fused glass but can easily be adapted to mosaic or stained glass techniques. The small version is intended to hang in a window or on your tree.  

Best wishes for a happy holiday filled with love and laughter.  

Cherish the moment, 
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment