Friday, March 14, 2014

Art Adventure Anniversary


Kites in Flight, Tampa International Airport
Art is a universal language. Like music, sports, cooking, horseback riding, or any other concentration you’re passionate about, it brings people together. Those from different backgrounds, socio-economic status and ages find common ground, a reason to interact, talk and share ideas, because of art.  
It is in the interest of sharing art that I write this blog. For in the end, all we have is the human experience; the riches you hold in your heart over those you hold in your hand. 
Please enjoy!

Three years ago this month I started my first blog post with those words. And though time has passed and much has changed, my vision remains the same.
Since my first blog post, interest has steadily increased. But after my last post the number of visits sky rocketed. I’m taking that as a sign that you found the insiders look at our commission and installation processes inspiring. With that in mind, over the next several weeks I’m going to share stories about commissions that paved the way for our last project, Lavish and Lush.

Harmony
Harmony 14” x 32”, each panel, Fused Glass
Six glass panels are installed side by side, creating a fluid ribbon of color. The design theme represents the four elements-earth, air, fire and water. Whimsical images, such as a curious chipmunk and playful squirrel were added to the pattern. Items that would enhance the feeling of movement such as pinwheels and dangling fish are tucked into the design.

Harmony: The Commission that Started it All
Back in 2000 I was asked to design a piece of art that would be the focal point in a formal garden. I envisioned a freestanding group of six fused glass panels, arranged in a circle around a water feature. The fused glass would have to be supported in some way. Iron stands seemed the logical choice; they would be strong, durable and low profile accents for the ornate glass. So, I came home to my engineer /business partner/ husband, Joe, and said, “Honey, let’s take up welding.” Joe feels the same way about tools that I feel about friends and shoes, you can’t have enough. He was all for adding another skill set to expand our fabrication possibilities.

Harmony Detail
At the time the project seemed huge; looking back now, not so much. But everyone has to start somewhere and this job laid the ground work for many projects that came after. But most importantly, it stretched my creativity. New, more exciting artistic directions were suddenly within reach.
Next time: Starlight Bench
Starlight Bench Detail
No matter how technologically advanced we become, there’s one thing we can’t master and that’s time. There are numerous demands on your time and even more ways to spend what leisure time you are able to shave out of your day. You should know, I appreciate the time you spend here.

Thanks for stopping by.  
Lisa

See more photos on Facebook Lisa J Vogt
Visit my web sites www.LisaVogt.net and www.OriginalsInGlass.com / portfolio if you’d like to see more of my work. 

The following is a repost for new comers to my blog. 
Excerpt from: Welcome 3-26-2011

About Me
While pursuing an education in fine art at the University of South Florida, I enrolled in a beginner stained glass class at a local shop. Immediately I was hooked, completing my project the first night rather than over the allotted four weeks. Within six months I had my first commission, within a year my first store, and a year later my husband/business partner and I opened a second store. In the studios we sold supplies and offered classes as well as designed and fabricated commissioned art for residential and commercial installations. Being a huge public art advocate I’ve participated in many projects donating original works of art to benefit local and regional charities. My artwork has been on display in major cities across the country. Always eager to meet new people and travel, I’ve presented at dozens of conferences nationally from coast to coast. To date, I have authored fourteen design books and written numerous articles for industry publications and magazines. Now a full time studio artist, I work from the comfort of a private studio beside my house, which is awesome because I live in a beautiful area. 

Here, I’m hard at work on my latest glass project and a fiction novel. The novel is a new and unexpected direction for me. One day I realized I have a funny life and I like to tell stories. I decided to start writing and discovered it’s just like drawing a picture, only with words instead of lines. Like any other labor of love, it’s taking time and dedication to churn out the pages, but I’m committed. Hopefully I’ll be sharing it here in the near future…  

No comments:

Post a Comment