Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Quality Control - It’s in the Details




We’re having our typical rainy summer. It rains almost every day which makes it difficult to plan fun outdoor activities with the threat of thunder storms looming. I’m happy to have a big mosaic project that I can work on between office tasks. The mosaic gets me outside and in my happy place, my studio. Plus, friends and family have gotten into the act and I’m thrilled to have them creating right alongside me. 



A mosaic of this scale can easily become tedious. And so, I’ve designed several fun focal points into the project to keep it interesting. I also try to vary the shapes of glass used for individual subjects. Again, this keeps the project moving smoothly forward and it gives each focal point its own unique look. One of the focal points in this ocean themed piece is a mermaid. I thought it would be fun to represent her tail with iridized, scale shaped pieces of glass. 






I drew a paper pattern of her tail and then cut the pieces of glass. I spent a lot of time planning the subtle color changes and the direction of the scales. I laid the cut glass out on the full size paper pattern to ensure I had enough glass cut. When it came time to apply glue and affix the glass to the wood substructure, it was a breeze. The glass fit beautifully. The colors looked great. I focused light colors on the right side to create a light source. Darker colors were placed on the left side to create a sense of fullness and shadow. I loved the results…until the next day after sharing my progress all over the web. I was admiring one of the pictures I took when it hit me like a tsunami.


The mermaid’s scales were glued on upside down! 


NO WAY!

Yes. I was so intent on having them fit well and chatting with a friend, I don’t get to see often enough, that I didn’t double check the direction of the scales. For a split second I thought about leaving them upside down. No one would notice, right? Then, I thought of the mermaid. How could she swim with upside down scales? She’d have so much friction against the water that she’d flounder. No. I had to remove the scales and re-glue them. Surprisingly, it only took about 2 hours to remove the scales, clean the dry glue off and reapply them to the base.


The real reason I re-glued the scales is this. I don’t want to go down in history as the glass artist who doesn’t know which way fish scales go. If I’m going to be remembered for a mistake let it be for something that couldn’t have been changed or was out of my control. No one’s perfect. But that doesn’t have to stop us from trying. 


Here’s my mantra. Do your best work. Show your best work.


I hope you’re enjoying seeing the work-in-progress on this colorful mosaic. Next up is the moon lit side of the sky and filling in the octopus.   

Happy fusing,
Lisa

Follow my blog for more tips and tricks! 



Now Registering

Seating is limited!
Advanced Glass Fusing 4-Day, Hands-on Workshop
November 6-9, 2018

Register here: http://www.lisavogt.net/products.aspx?id=477

This is the turning point experience you’ve been waiting for.

Join me for this intense workshop held in my private studio.
Wesley Chapel, Florida, 4-Day, Hands-on, Class size is limited.


What makes this class different?
In this class, you will push the boundaries art glass imposes. Students explore innovative approaches to design and combine multiple advanced techniques to construct original art that reflects your own personal style. You’ll enjoy: the one-on-one instruction, making large scale projects, the well-equipped classroom, and the intimate class size.
Its hard-core fusing in a nurturing, relaxed environment.
You'll love the concentrated, in-depth study and creative momentum you’ll gain while actively producing, nonstop for four consecutive days. You’ll leave class with a working knowledge of kiln operation, custom project specific firing guides, and the inspiration you’ve been craving to go bigger and do more!

Seats are limited.

Upcoming Webinars
 


Fusing for the Adventurous Webinar
July 24, 2018




Make a Fused Glass Sink Webinar
August 2, 2018




Fusing with Frit
September 20, 2018




Learn at home at your own pace. Instructional Videos are here!

How librarians spend their summer.

Check out my new writer’s blog.
Writer – Instructor – Artist

Relationships fascinate me, and so I have another blog dedicated to the weird and wonderful ways we interact with each other.


1 comment:

  1. Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site. Buy Yellow Pages Paper

    ReplyDelete