Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Idea Factory – How Crazy Ideas Lead to Dazzling Works of Art


Currents as seen in Sculptural Fused Glass video
Whew! I just finished producing three new instructional glass fusing videos. Together, the three titles have over 30 new, original pieces of art. 

For the past 3 months I’ve happily been lost in the rabbit hole. In my burro, I drew new designs, cut sheets of glass, fired numerous kilns, and built some of the most exciting pieces I think I’ve ever made.   

You’re likely wondering, how does one get into such a productive, creative zone? What drives this kind of in-depth study and intense creativity? How do you develop fresh ideas and make interesting shapes using the same old medium and familiar techniques? 

I’m not sure how other creatives get motivated or are inspired, but I’ll share my creative process. Maybe you’ll recognize some similarities to your own practices and know you’re not alone. Or, this might provide insight into new techniques that lead you to new adventures. 

For me, designs develop in different, not always predictable, ways. After more than thirty years, I’ve learned to trust the process. And I’ve learned not to make any final decisions about the success or failure of any single piece until it’s complete. 

Some designs come from quick sketches. I pull out a notebook and let my pen mess up the page. I scribble curves, draw straight lines and combine different shapes trying to come up with new project profiles that are appealing. The trick is to let the ideas flow without editing.

After I’ve drawn the customary shapes and gotten those out of my mind, new possibilities amazingly start to show up on the page. Then I pick and choose which of those I want to make. 

This method usually delivers somewhat predictable results, but not always. In the beginning my intention is to stick with my original plan to its natural end. But I also leave room for exploring along the way, if the opportunity presents itself. 

This method is artistically satisfying. It’s rewarding to see the vision you held in your head become a 3 dimensional reality.   

Current originated as a quick sketch. I envisioned opposing curves that interacted with each other at their peak. I could see the finished piece in my mind, but I wasn’t sure how to create it. 


I started with the glass. I wanted it to be transparent with subtle color washes. I made a free flow, where I combined clear glass with select transparent colors. I heated the glass until it blended together. Then I cut the glass into the crescent shapes. The glass pieces were then slumped over tapered sconce molds to give them gentle curves in two directions. The soft curves were just enough to add graceful movement to the sculpture’s clean lines.   

   


Currents as seen in Sculptural Fused Glass video
Other designs in this series developed organically. They were a result of playing with the glass and molds in unexpected ways. These pieces are really exciting to make because the outcome is often a wonderful surprise. 

Wonderous as seen in Sculptural Fused Glass video
Wonderous is the result of using a standard mold and combining the slumped glass pieces in a new way. In the beginning, I had no idea what to expect or how to predict what new shapes I could make with an old, familiar stainless steel S mold. But I was sure I could make something new and unique. Before putting time and effort into the glass design, I slumped sample pieces of ¼ inch thick clear glass over the mold. 




Then, I tried different arrangements with the two samples to see if I liked any of the shapes and profiles. Surprisingly, my creative directors and I came up with several attractive combinations in just a few minutes. It was a great way to build confidence and foster a sense of control over the outcome of the finished artwork. It was close to the type of confidence I enjoy when making pieces from patterns. In addition to gaining fabrication knowledge with the samples, I also have a bunch of new design shapes to experiment with in future pieces. 








Having success with the test pieces lead me to try other ways to use my molds to make new creative shapes. Grape Tulip is one of the innovative pieces that is a direct result of branching out. 

Grape Tulip as seen in Creative Shapes video


The lure of endless possibilities encouraged me to make other clear samples just to have around. On a whim, I can try new combinations and then switch them up. Some profiles, I’m sure you’ll see in my next series of sculptural pieces. And the others will likely be displaying them. 


Next time you have a crazy idea about how to use glass or an old mold in a new way don’t dismiss it. Look at your glass and materials with fresh eyes and then go for it. The results will amaze you. 

Happy Fusing!
Lisa

Follow my blog for more tips and tricks! 




Glass Craft and Bead Expo
Las Vegas, NV, April 3-7, 2019
Register today!   

There’s still room in these two classes!
TH-08 - Painting with Frit
NEW SU-01 - Gallery Quality Fused Glass Made Easy



Upcoming Webinar
Let’s get together and fuse glass!
Join me for Fusing for the Adventurous Webinar
Thursday, April 11, 2019


This webinar is packed with new advanced techniques that’ll excite your creativity. Break the rules. Design with bubbles. Add drama with pattern. Think outside the box. Play with shrinkage. Go sculptural. Design with open spaces. Learn how to design unique stands. See the value of experimenting. Get tips for working with color. Get tips to expand your artistic style. Get project specs and my personal firing guides. All this plus personalized instruction in the comfort of your home.
It’s LIVE. Ask your questions. Get immediate answers.
You’ll get excited about your work again!

New Videos you will enjoy!


Learn at home at your own pace. Instructional Videos are here!


Check out my new writer’s blog.
Writer – Instructor – Artist






    





2 comments:

  1. Lisa, thank you, this look into your trials while head down in your rabbit hole are wonderful. Not only your creative process but the ideas they have also given me.

    ReplyDelete